Thursday, December 12, 2019

Geminid Meteor Shower

We have had some pretty depressing weather lately with all the cloud cover.  Night sky photography has been hopeless.  I have not run my good night camera for quite a while.  I do run my other 3 cameras 24/7.  I do review the time lapses every morning and for the most part, they have been VERY boring....  Last night however, we had some freak clearing of the clouds with a full moon and it makes for a beautiful sky, especially when put into motion.  Then, as an added bonus, we had a very nice fireball (meteor) around 6:00am.  We are very close to the peak time for the Geminid meteor shower.  I verified with Robert Lunsford from the American Meteor Society that this is not a Geminid meteor.  Timing wise it is close, but it is coming from the wrong direction, so it is a random meteor.


The skies were beautiful for moments last night when the clouds parted...  Here is a time lapse from Cam 2 and Cam 3 that includes the fireball.


If interested in more information about the Geminid Meteor Shower, this is a very good link.  They will be peaking on December 14th.....

No comments:

Post a Comment