Sunday, January 5, 2020

Rumors? .... Or Early Forecasts For Preparedness....


I have been watching comments from respected meteorologists around the area about next weekend for a while now.  The models and ensembles have been very interesting.  Some models have been promising a NASTY arctic flow and gobs of snow.  Most of the other models not so much or nothing at all.  

So, at this point we can classify the “snowmaggedon” forecast for next weekend as “rumor”.  Anything beyond 3 days out is a tough call and the accuracy can be questioned.  At 3 days they do become very accurate.

Personally I like these “rumors”….  I look at them as a reminder to prepare.  I really think the forecasters are doing us a service.  I leave a lot of the winterization projects to the last minute, because many years they are not necessary.  So, thanks to the “rumors”, I am going to prepare “progressively” to do some of the winterization projects that I wouldn’t have prepared for otherwise.  I’ll be reviewing all that needs to be done and restocking necessary supplies now instead of later when it could be too late….  (been there and done that)….  If this doesn’t happen, it is not a problem.  I’ll have extra supplies for next year.  

Key point here….  “rumors” can be good if it inspires us to be prepared.

Meanwhile, I think we all should be watching the upcoming forecasts closely.  I have a Twitter List on my site that includes many talented meteorologist comments from our area.  I use it daily to get a lot of my information.



No comments:

Post a Comment